The 5 Best Cabinet Hardware Jigs
Whenever you think about refreshing your existing cabinets or adding some new hardware to your home, the hassles and expense of calling a professional woodworker are intimidating.
With the innovative and simple DIYS tools available on the market, you can save both time and money and get great results at your convenience. The most common tools required for a hardware installation process are a cabinet hardware jig, or a cabinet hardware template, a portable drill machine, drill bits, measuring tape, and a screwdriver.
Table of Contents
- Cabinet Hardware Jig Vs. Cabinet Hardware Template
- Things To Consider While Buying A Cabinet Hardware Jig
- The Best Cabinet Hardware Jig: A Top 5 Guide
- 1. Tourace Cabinet Hardware Jig
- 2. Original Cabinet Hardware Jig
- 4. Poraxy Cabinet Hardware Jig
- 5. Cabinet Hardware Jig Aluminum Alloy Cabinet Drawer Drilling Template Jig
- Final Verdict
In a hurry ? here is our top picks
Last update on 2022-12-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Cabinet Hardware Jig Vs. Cabinet Hardware Template
A hardware jig is a T-shaped, adjustable tool with two crossing scales that expedites unlimited holes on cabinets and drawers. They have steel drill guide bushings and locking screws to fix the layout on the hardware, making the drill operations much easier. The jigs are highly durable tools that can easily be reconfigured on a variety of hardware.
A cabinet hardware template, on the other hand, is a fixed plastic molded pattern guide. The store-bought template has a series of holes that can only accommodate commonly sized knobs, pulls, handles, and so on. They’re inexpensive, but lack durability. These cabinet hardware templates are not suitable for large and repeated projects because of their frail composition.
In this article, we help you choose the best hardware jig for your needs.
Things To Consider While Buying A Cabinet Hardware Jig
A good cabinet hardware jig will make all your DIY and remodeling projects of adding knobs and pulls faster and completely accurate. However, you need to look at specific features to select the right tool.
Most manufacturers are using either metal or plastic for manufacturing the hardware jig. Though plastic hardware jigs are inexpensive and good for finishing small jobs, stainless steel or aluminum boasts better durability and functionality. They’re more robust and flexible in performing on different hardware.
Perfect hardware installation depends on the correct measurements. With a single marking on a horizontal and longitudinal ruler, you may have to waste time in converting measurements. The ruler should have both imperial and metric markings for the user.
The accuracy rating of the installation tool plays the most crucial role. If your drill hole measurements are inaccurate, the entire purpose of having the component goes to waste. It’s always advisable to check the information concerning accuracy.
Ease Of Operation
Everyone prefers tools that are easy to set and use. Who wants to waste time making adjustments and assembling products? The more intricate adjustments with multiple features there are, the more confusion they’re bound to create. Such complications hamper the installation process. Both as an amateur and as a professional, you should opt for an easy-to-use model.
Speaking of prices, aluminum and stainless-steel jigs are more expensive than plastic jigs. A professional should always opt for a durable product. On the other hand, if you’re a homebuyer and need the tool for occasional DIY usage, plastic ones will do the job just fine.
The Best Cabinet Hardware Jig: A Top 5 Guide
Some may argue about the need for a cabinet hardware jig, but drilling holes in cabinets can be risky and lead to an expensive mishap.
Moreover, when affordable cabinet knob jigs are available from reputable market brands, wouldn’t it be prudent to buy one?
Here are the various advantages a jig offers during the hardware installation:
- It ensures cabinet hardware placement is precise, straight, and visually perfect.
- The metal guide bushing and locking screws offer ease of operation.
- Jigs are widely adjustable, flexible, and durable.
- Most jigs are reversible, so you can drill left and right sections without changing the settings.
- It saves money since you’ll avoid damaging your cabinets, doors, and panels with incorrect alignments.
There are plenty of good products that are easy for rookies as well as experts. To simplify your decision, we already researched and listed 5 of the best cabinet hardware jigs so that you get yourself the perfect one without burning a hole in your pocket.
This well-designed hardware jig by Tourace comes with a quick-release drill guide with stop collars to make the cabinet jig set-up simple and easy. A perfect tool for budget DIY home buyers, it’s both affordable and reliable. Judged the fastest jig among competitors, it can install knobs and handles with utmost ease and precision, given its wide array of adjustment and reversible features. The model has a front-mounted clamp for better clamping.
Talking about its sturdy construction, you can be assured of its durability. The jig is designed with alloy steel and aluminum, and the ruler is made of ABS plastic. The three-slider drilling guide and 5mm drill sleeve are made of steel.
The measurement scale offers both metric and standard estimation. The product is ideal for beginners, woodworkers, and other DIY enthusiasts.
- Type: T-style
- Composition: Aluminum metal ruler, and abs plastic slide
- Pin size: approx. 5mm
- Weight: 1.21 pounds
- Color: Silver
- Durable alloy construction makes it sturdy
- Value-for-money product
- Very simple to use and install hardware
- Ergonomically designed
- It’s a reversible jig with a wide range of adjustment options
- Compatible with standard and metric measurements
- A zippered case to store all contents
- Plastic ruler compromises the durability
- The instructional manual is not very elaborate
This versatile & high-quality crafted tool is wholly developed and machined in the USA and is the best among the lot.
It’s designed to install drawer front sizing up to 16” tall and hardware sizing about 12” in length. The TP-1934 is the optimal combination of durability and accuracy that is calibrated to .001” square. The product comes with a lifetime bushing warranty.
This lightweight jig is easy to adjust, and you don’t need any extra tools for drilling, like clamps. Because its build strength is three times more robust than comparable models, the steel drill bushing lasts for more than 10,000 holes. To add to its features, the jig is reversible, and sliders can be adjusted both horizontally and vertically. Also, it can drill hinge plates with a built-in 37mm setback & shelf three-hole pin patterns very conveniently.
The package includes instruction manual guides, a ruler, a 5 mm drill bit, an Allen wrench, index guides, a durable carrying case, and the TP-1934 jig. The product is a tad expensive compared to its competitors, but the extended durability makes it a worthy investment.
- Type: T-style
- Composition: hardened anodized aluminum
- Pin size: approx. 5mm
- Knobs and handle: up to 12” wide
- Weight: 2.2 pounds
- Ruler: laser engraved English & metric rulers
- A perfect tool that’s fast, easy, and precise
- Speeds up installation
- Extended ruler attachment
- Flippable design saves time from re-adjustment
- Zero use of plastic components.
- More costly than its competitors
You can’t afford to mess up the drilling procedure while working on a set of expensive cabinets. It’s always worth investing in a hardware jig since it prevents you from measuring and drilling each cabinet with the hope of getting the alignment perfectly. This jig from Kings & Charles is very affordable, lightweight, and accurate for beginners.
The user-friendly design helps you install kitchen drawers, cabinets, door tile, rails, door handles, and drawer fronts on your own. The unit is lightweight and easy to shift from one job site to another.
Speaking of tools and adjustments, there are three sliding drilling guides for precise and straight drilling. Then there is a front-mounted clamp that perfectly holds the hardware jig in place. The built-in steel ruler has both imperial and metric measurements and guarantees excellent results every time. Overall, the layout is very impressive and sets easily.
This corrosion-resistant tool is quite suitable for mounting single and multiple hole knobs. The manufacturer has provided a storage case for all the attachments that come with this multipurpose tool. However, due to its plastic composition, it scores less on durability.
- Type: T-style
- Composition: ABS
- Carrying bag: Aluminum alloy
- Ruler: stainless steel for imperial and metric measurement
- Weight: 15.5 ounces
- Color: Blue
- Easy to install and use
- Very precise with a wide range of adjustments
- Drill guide sliders can be split into small parts
- Ideal for performing small DIY jobs
- Not very durable
- Not suitable for complicated hardware installation
PORAXY is a reliable brand that provides top-quality and innovative tools to meet all DIY needs. The jig has a thoughtful design that helps reduce drilling mistakes. The drill hole is accurate because the wood drilling template lets you measure perfect hole positions without deviations. The sturdy tool is built with stainless steel and ABS plastic.
The accessories are detachable and can be assembled quickly without any hassle. Even the disassembling is fast, and the provision of a storage case offers easy portability.
This tool’s quick-release drill guide sleeve is designed for precise drilling and uniform positioning. It’s super convenient for drilling holes in door handles, flaps, kitchen drawers, shelves, and so forth.
Moreover, you don’t have to change your measurement tools all the time. You just need to check the drilling distance, fix and & adjust the punch sliding plate accordingly, and drill.
- Ruler Composition: Stainless Steel
- Slider material: ABS
- Dimensions: 16.1 x 12 inches
- Weight: 14.4 ounces
- Drill hole dimension: 5mm
- Color: Blue
- Easy to use
- Accommodate handles of any length
- Fast and user-friendly service
- Precise drilling and uniform positioning
- Not suitable for cabinets with thick trim or long handles
- The instructions are not that elaborate or helpful.
The all-metal construction tool is one of the best performing cabinet hardware jigs in the given price category. The use of premium material (industry-grade aluminum alloy) ensures long-term robustness. Set up is relatively easy every time you use it.
Suitable for professionals and experts, this lightweight tool kit drills holes much faster and saves time. The two intersecting metal rules and sliding bore mounts do a fantastic job with total accuracy, steadiness, and precision. The user can work on cabinets, cupboards, door handles, picture frames, and other applications using this tool for breezy installations. The tool can be adjusted to accommodate various measurement settings.
The product comes with a bag to store the separate parts that can be reassembled very conveniently, and is ideal for users with a limited budget.
- Composition: Aluminium Alloy
- Longitudinal ruler scale: 10 inch/25 cm
- Horizontal sliding ruler scale: 16 inches/40 cm
- Weight: 1.17 pounds
- Color: Black
- Extended longevity
- Suitable for both amateur and professional woodworking
- Ideal for working with a variety of hardware handle lengths
- Handy storage bag
- Very reliable, firm, fast, and affordable
- Squareness to the horizontal rule is troublesome
Now you have a comprehensive list of the best cabinet hardware jigs to pick from. Our purpose is to get you a proper installation jig, so that you finish up your project with desired results.
- If you want a tool for finishing small and occasional projects, then you can go with the third product on the list.
- For completing more complex cabinetwork and for long-term usage, professionals can go for the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd options for completing more complex cabinetwork and long-term usage due to their metal composition.
- If you prioritize accuracy, then the 2nd option scores best. The brand guarantees precision machined to ±0.0002” tolerance and square to .001 of an inch.
- You can pick the 3rd option for its simplicity and ease of operations.
- For budget-friendly options, you can choose from the 3rd, 4th, and 5th options.
We hope this article has been able to answer all your concerns and queries. Our research list has something for everyone, from a high-end product to budget-friendly options. So, go on and get jiggy with it!
Last Updated on November 9, 2021 by Tom Bradly