Should I Buy Makita BO4556K Finishing Sander ? Read Our Review
The Makita BO4556K is a budget finishing sander that offers a nice set of features. Due to its low price, it is a popular model used by both professionals and beginners alike. If you are looking for a quality finishing sander at a budget price, you have come to the right place. It's what we do here! Our in-depth review of this Makita finishing sander will help you decide if this product is worth the money or not. Without any further ado, let’s get going!
Makita BO4556K Finishing Sander Review
As expected with a budget finishing sander, it does not include the most powerful motor we have seen in those types of power tools. The inductive motor is rated at only 2.0 Amps. In addition, this power tool uses a ball bearing mechanism throughout, which means that the motor vibrations do not get transmitted to the palm or base for a more comfortable and efficient sanding. Despite the lower rated 2.0 Amps motor, it is still enough for sanding low-density material like wood, even in a heavy duty application scenario.
What we like the most about this model is that it is very energy efficient. It consumes only 200 Watts which means that it allows you to make a lot of savings on your electricity bill. Nice!
The no-load speed of 14,000 OPM in this Makita finishing sander is linear with no option for a variable speed control. This does not necessarily mean that it is a bad thing as 14,000 OPM is somewhat considered the “sweet spot” of a finishing sander. With a little bit of experimentation, by using different sanding pads of different grits you can quickly compensate the single speed of this device and deliver a great finishing quality.
When fitted with a low grit 4-1/2 x 4 inches sanding pad, it will deliver a smooth and polished finish. It is not ideal for prep work like removing veneer or paint, but this is generally not what a finishing center is meant for.
However, it can be made even more versatile by fitting a lower grit sanding pad that will remove a lot of material in a short amount of time. When fitted with a higher grade sanding pad, the result is generally a smooth and polished finish quality.
- Grip: This model is a palm grip finishing center that feels great in the hand. You can easily operate this ergonomic sander with only one hand. In addition, the palm rest area has an elastomer coating that makes it very comfortable to hold for long hours. It also helps limit hand fatigue.
- Vibration: There is little to no vibration when operating this device. This partly has to do with the lower power motor in this unit. But also, the tall form factor, as well as the ball bearing construction highly reduces vibration and noise. In addition, this model employs an internal dual counterweight system that drastically dampens vibrations. It also provides better maneuverability and feel well-balanced in the hand. In closing, a lower vibration normally translates to better accuracy, greater maneuverability as well as more comfort.
- Lightweight: Another good thing that we like about the Makita BO4556K is its weight. At only 2.6 lbs. it is very lightweight and fairly well-balanced in the hand. The little weight also makes it easier to maneuver for longer periods of time. It's also lightweight enough to be portable and carried to the job.
- User Feeling: This finishing sander is very comfortable and easy to maneuver. The contoured rubberized palm grip feels very comfortable to the hand and in general, this unit is well-balanced and performs exceptionally well for a budget offering. Furthermore, it does not produce a lot of noise which means that you do not have to wear ear protection when operating this device. Noise is a recurring problem with power tools, and we are happy to see that this is not a problem with this particular model. Which can be good news if you use this device for long hours.
As expected from most Makita sanding power tools, it comes with a dust collection bag. It will help keep your sanding clean by sucking in the sawdust. It does a good job filtering very small micron size debris which can be dangerous to your health if breathed in. This is not a problem with this model, and along with helping keep your work area clean, it also indirectly protects your health. Nice!
- Clamping Lever: The clamping lever makes it easy to change the sanding pad in a matter of seconds. Simply lift the lever for the sanding pad to pop out. Pull it down to secure the pad.
- Aluminum foot: The aluminum foot provides more stability when sanding, ensuring that the sanding pads always touch the material, even if the material is not smooth. Additionally, it is dust proof and will last longer.
Price of Makita BO4556K
The price is definitely where the Makita BO4556K shine the most. It is a budget finishing sander offering at a very competitive price. Of course, it cannot be compared to more powerful finishing sanders like the Bosch 1297D or Makita BO4900V, but it still manages to offer a nice price to performance ratio that makes it one of the best finishing sanders in this price range. We have no problem recommending this model for its price alone.
Pros/Cons of Makita BO4556K
- Lightweight at 2.6 lbs and portable. Small dimension of 4.4 x 5.2 x 5.5 inches means it will easily fit in a work bag without taking too much space.
- Low power. Consume only 200W of electricity for huge energy savings.
- Rubber grip feels comfortable in the hand. Can be used for hours without hand fatigue.
- Dual counterweight system reduces vibrations and makes this sander more maneuverable.
- Easy to replace sanding pads with the clamp system.
- Dust bag and carry case included.
- Single speed of 14,000 OPM. No variable speed.
Marty Backe made a detailed review of this Makita finishing sander on his YouTube channel. Originally, he was using a Porter-Cable sander but the lack of a dust collection system made him get this model instead. He goes in depth about the features and also gives a hands-on demonstration of this finishing sander. It is well worth a watch:
What’s in the Box?
You do not get a lot accessories with this model. It is pretty basic. Out of the box, you get the Makita BO4556K finishing sander, sandpaper, a dust bag, 1x punch plate, a user manual and finally, an awesome branded carry case made of solid plastic. Pretty basic, but we appreciate Makita’s effort to deliver this unit with a high-quality carry case despite its small price.
Who Should Buy?
It is hard not to recommend the Makita BO4556K to everyone. But we need to be more considerate here. This model does not have a variable speed control, therefore less versatile than other models. However, in its price range, it almost has no competition. If you are on a tight budget and yet need an agile finishing sander - regardless of casual or heavy-duty sanding, this is a very good model to get. It does not have the best features in the world, but at this price point, it is next to impossible to find a better finishing sander than this. Highly Recommended!
Last Updated on August 7, 2020 by Tom Bradly