5 Best Tool Bags in 2022 | Technician, Contractor Tool Bag Reviews
As a professional contractor, handyman or even just a hobbyists or DIYer that likes to make things your tools are your most valuable asset. Keeping them organized is crucial, and for this, you will need a good tool bag. Tool bags also make it easy to move the tools from one site or projects to the other.
The best tool bag for you is one that can not only accommodate all your tools but also makes them easy to organize and access. In this piece, we look at some of the top tool bags, and also feature a simple guide on what to consider or look for when buying these handy bags.
Table of Contents
5 Best Tool Bags - Reviews
1. Stanley STST70574 Tool Bag
11.9 x 5.1 x 9.9 in
2. Custom Leathercraft 1539 Tool Bag
18 x 7 x 14 in
3. Custom Leathercraft 1100 Zippered Poly Bags
9 x 7 in; 7 x 6 in; 6 x 5 in
4. Custom LeatherCraft 1528 Maintenance and Electrical Tool Bag
11 x 10 x 9 in
5. DeWalt DGL523 57-Pocket Lighted Tool Backpack Bag
8.5 x 7.4 x 4.5 in
#1. Stanley STST70574 Tool Bag
Editor's Rating: (4.6 / 5)
The Stanley STST70574 is one of the most affordable tool bags on our list. This lightweight tool bag has an adjustable strap that simplifies the access and some comfortable handles with cotton padding for easy carrying.
Stanley gives this bag a rubber foam bottom section that keeps the tools safe from hard falls and also makes the bag sturdy. This tool case also comes with some small vertical pockets on the sides that make it easy to access the hand tools since you can keep them upright. And you also get some outer mesh pockets for some personal belongings. The company backs the tool bag with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Adjustable strap for easy access to tools.
- Cotton-padded handles for comfortable carrying.
- Rubber foam bottom protects tools from hard falls and keeps the bag sturdy.
- Outer mesh provides additional storage for small tools and personal belongings.
- Limited lifetime warranty.
- Zipper is not as high quality as the rest of the tool bag.
- It does not include a ring for storing a hammer.
Who Should Buy?
The lightweight and durable Stanley STST70574 is excellent for carrying small to medium size tools. It is an ideal tool bag for woodworkers that do not need to transport many or large tools.
#2. Custom Leathercraft 1539 Tool Bag
Editor's Rating: (4.7 / 5)
The Custom Leathercraft 1539 tool carrier is a multi-compartment bag with a total of 50 pockets that make it easy to organize your accessories and tools. This bag has a large center compartment that supports large power tools, and it also features some separate outside compartments.
With this bag, you never have to worry about spilling the hand tools that you keep on the vertical side pockets because the side panels come with a zipper. Also, the vertical pockets on the sides ensure quick access by keeping the tools in sight. This tool bag is the second most expensive in this list, and you also get money back guarantee for 30-days when you purchase it.
- 50 pockets provide sufficient space to organize all your accessories and tools.
- Large center compartment accommodates multiple power tools.
- Zippered side panels for spill proof closures.
- Vertical side pockets help to keep the tools in sight.
- Heavy-duty polyester construction makes it very durable.
- Sometimes the zipper on this bag will stick.
Who Should Buy?
The numerous storage pockets make this the best tool bag for mechanics because they tend to have plenty of items to carry. However, it can still work well for professional woodworkers.
#3. Custom Leathercraft 1100 Zippered Poly Bags
Editor's Rating: (4.6 / 5)
Custom Leathercraft makes some of the best tool bags on the market, and they come in various sizes and styles. Their 1100 model zippered poly bags are the cheapest and smallest item on our list. They are a set of 3 polyester fabric bags that are ideal for carrying and organizing tools and accessories such as fasteners, drill bits and small connectors.
These pouches come with some zippered closures that help to keep their contents secure. They also have some clips/hooks that make it possible to hang the bags on belt loops, and tool belts or even in your tool bag. Custom Leathercraft backs this product with a 1-year limited warranty.
- Durable Polyester fabric construction.
- 3 different size and convenient poly bags that can also attach to large tool bags.
- Durable clips make the bags easy to hang on belt loops and tool belts.
- Zipper closures help to keep the bag contents safe at all times.
- 1-year limited warranty.
- Plastic hooks/clips feel a little flimsy and look cheap.
Who Should Buy?
The sizes and durable materials of these bags make them ideal for things like drill bits and fasteners hence making them a good choice for both professional contractors and hobbyists woodworkers.
#4. Custom LeatherCraft 1528 Maintenance and Electrical Tool Bag
Editor's Rating: (4.3 / 5)
Custom LeatherCraft makes quality tool bags for a variety of uses, but their 1528 model is best suited for electrical/maintenance tools. This tool carrier comes with a total of 22 pockets with 14 of them being multi-use ones on the outside and 7 on the inner section that you can also use to carry a variety accessories, tools or parts.
This tool bag comes with an 11x 6 inches plastic tray with multiple compartments that slides into the bottom of the bag, and you can use it to organize small parts. The box shape design of this carrier is also an important feature because it prevents tipping. Also, this bag comes with an adjustable shoulder strap and carrying handle with some extra padding that makes it easy to transport.
- Multi-compartment plastic tray help in the organization of small parts.
- 22 pockets make it easy to organize a variety of accessories and tools.
- Box shaped design minimizes the risk of tipping.
- Adjustable shoulder strap and handle with extra padding make it comfortable to carry.
- Bag also includes an electrical tape strap.
- Dividers on the plastic tray do not stay in place.
- It may start to sag or lean after a few months as it does not have enough rigging to prevent this.
Who Should Buy?
Everything from the design of this bag to the pocket styles and carrying straps and handles makes it perfect for individuals looking for something to transport maintenance/electrical tools and accessories.
#5. DeWalt DGL523 57-Pocket Lighted Tool Backpack Bag
Editor's Rating: (4.5 / 5)
Dewalt is more famous for making high-quality power tools, but you can also trust the company to make some of best tool bags. The Dewalt DGL523 comes in a backpack design and with a total of 57 multipurpose pockets.
48 of the pockets are on the inside part of the bag to make organization of accessories easy while 9 of them are outside facing to provide quick access to the tools that you use regularly. The highlight of this bag is the LED light that makes it easy to locate tools when it is dark, and you can also direct it to the work area.
This tool bag comes with some thick padding on the back for extra comfort and some padded web handles and an adjustable strap for easy carrying.
- LED light makes it easy to identify tools, and you can also direct it to the work area.
- 57 multi-use pockets make it easy to organize tools, accessories, and parts.
- Adjustable shoulder straps and web carrying handles with sufficient padding make the tool bag easy to carry.
- Zippered front pouch provides quick and easy access to favorite tools.
- Despite the quality and numerous pockets, it is still quite a pricey tool bag.
Who Should Buy?
Professional contractors and hobbyists willing to spend some extra money to get a tool bag with plenty of pockets and is easy to carry will love this one by Dewalt. It will also be a good buy for anyone looking for a very comfortable backpack style tool bag.
Things to Consider When Buying Tool Bag
Our tool bag reviews in this piece showcase some of the top units in the market. But to get the right on for your needs, it is still important to know what to consider when shopping. Although several components will make up a tool bag, the following are the basics that you should consider.
Tool bags come in a variety of materials, but the most common ones are leather, canvas, and nylon. Some types will also come with some plastic-molded sides for extra durability. The best tool bag material will depend on the tools that you intend to carry and the amount of cash you are willing to spend. But, it is always important to choose a material that is not weak or flimsy because tools can be quite heavy and also because a durable material will last for long.
A good tool bag should come with multiple pockets because this makes tool organization easy. There are numerous bag styles out there, and so you have to decide on the ideal number of pockets that you need. You can choose a bag with one large main compartment if you intend to use it for a large power tool or one with numerous small and vertical pockets for your hand tools.
#3. Size and Capacity
The size of the bag is a major factor since it determines the number of tools/accessories that you can carry at ago. Luckily, tool bags will come in various sizes, and so you should not have any trouble finding the best one for your tools.
Small size ones are ideal for carrying tools around the site or for short trips while the large ones are good when you need to transport many tools and for long trips. However, the right size will depend on the number of items you need to move or store. For the weight capacity, it is important to go for something that can handle the total weight of the accessories without ripping.
#4. Handles and Wheels
Many tool bags will come with wheels that make them easy to move around when they are full of tools. Wheels ensure that you do not have to bear the entire weight or strain your body and so it is always an important feature to consider. Most will also come with retractable handles that make the bag easy to move around and the best ones are those with telescopic and adjustable handles.
#5. Other Features
Other features that you should look out for include D-rings because you can use them to attach various tools and other things. Hooks and clips are also useful features of a bag because you can use them for your tape measures. Waterproof tool bags are also the best since they keep your tools safe from the elements and you can use them in all seasons.