Should I Buy DeWalt DWE6423K ? Read Our Review
The search for a good quality random orbital sander is a difficult one. There are so many brands and models out there that it can be confusing to many. One model that has successfully demarked itself from the pack is the DeWalt DWE6423K. It is a powerful random orbit sander kit that offers attractive features at an affordable price. Let's find out if this is the right tool for the job or not, shall we?
DeWalt DWE6423K Random Orbital Sander Review
One of the things that we like the most about this DeWalt orbital sander is its motor. Under the hood lies a powerful 3 Amps motor that offers the right amount of power for a random orbital sander. It can polish and perform finishing work at half the time of other random orbital sanders. This gives you a boost in productivity right there. Additionally, the motor pack at the bottom of the unit has an air vent for good air circulation. This means that this unit will not overheat even under heavy duty sanding. A cooler running motor also translates to a motor that will last longer.
What we also like about this model is the inclusion of a variable speed control. This model can easily perform a no load speed of 8,000 - 12,000 OPM which is excellent for finishing work. The variable speed allows you to adapt to your material on-the-fly. This provides great versatility when working with different materials of different densities. Furthermore, the speed dial can easily be reached even while you are sanding. The highest 12,000 speed will result in a perfectly smooth finish surface while 8,000 is excellent for polishing coarser surfaces.
The finishing quality in this Dewalt orbital sander is excellent. This has mostly to do with the superb combination of a powerful 3 Amps motor and a variable speed control of 8000 to 12,000 OPM. The fast spinning sanding pad performs tiny “orbital” movements that leave a professional, smooth and polished surface. You can also adjust the speed to get a “customized” finish quality. Furthermore, you can also achieve the same finishing quality by changing the 5 inches sanding pad with a higher or lower grit size. In any case, this model allows a fair amount of experimentation to be done so that the user gets the exact desired finish quality.
- Grip: The DeWalt DWE6423K has a very ergonomic form factor that makes it very comfortable to use even for long hours.
- Vibration: DeWalt also made sure that this model operates with as little vibrations as possible. Indeed, the whole unit is engineered in a way to reduce and dampen vibrations produced by both the motor and the moving sanding pad. DeWalt achieves this by incorporating a thin rubber layer between the motor and the 5" hook and loop sanding pad. This new design works brilliantly as this model has almost no vibrations even when operated at the highest 12,000 OPM speed.
- Lightweight: At around 2.9 lbs, we have to say that the weight of this random orbit sander is pretty average. It is not the lightest, and it is also not the heaviest we have reviewed. But don’t get us wrong; 2.9 lbs will feel excellent in the hand and not cause any form of hand fatigue as the unit is still fairly maneuverable at this weight. In addition to the powerful 3 Amps motor, we think that the weight of this DeWalt orbital sander is a good match that offers an excellent weight-to-performance ratio.
This model is equipped with a dust collection bag that does a good job capturing dust and debris, thus helping keep both the workshop and the work area clean. What we also like about this dust collection system is that you can easily operate it with one hand thanks to the one-hand locking system. Removing the dust bag for cleaning has never been easier and it can all be accomplished with only one hand. Neat! In addition, you can also fit an air vacuum like the DWV010 or DWV012 to this model. To make things sweeter, it uses a universal dust port size of 1-1/4 inches which means that it can accommodate almost every external air vacuums of any make.
The price of the DeWalt DWE6423K is one of the best and most competitive pricing we have ever seen in a random orbital sander. Taking into account the powerful motor, its variable speed control and other features we think that it is more than reasonably priced. Of course, it is significantly more expensive than other budget random orbit sanders like the Black & Decker BDERO100 but it also has superior features and performance. All in all, this is a product we can recommend with no second thought.
- Powerful motor of 3 Amps that allows it to sand both softwood and hardwood with great ease.
- Variable speed of 8,000 to 12,000 OPM allows you to easily adapt to the material you are sanding.
- Short form factor provides greater maneuverability. Ergonomic shape to limit hand fatigue.
- Dust bag included and dust port compatible with most external air vacuums.
- Designed for low vibration and smooth operation.
- Easy to change 5" hook-and-loop sanding paper pads.
- This model has dust sealed switches that protect it from dust and debris entering the unit. It also helps boost the longevity of both the switches and the sander.
- Some people have had difficulty connecting the dust port to an external air vacuum.
Chris Marshall over at WoodworkersJournal.com made an excellent review of this model. Basically, Woodworkers Journal is one of America’s most respected woodworking hub. We do not take their opinions lightly. When reviewing this product, Chris notes how lightweight and performing this random orbital sander is.
He also likes features like the variable speed control that allows you to change the speed of the unit on the fly. The soft over molding also grabs his attention as it makes the unit very comfortable to hold for extended periods of time. Chris equally notes the presence of a rubber skirt between the hook and loop pad and motor housing. This system does a good job limiting vibrations and boosting efficiency. All in all, this is a random orbit sander that even experts use and recommend.
What Does it Include?
You get many goodies with the DeWalt DWE6423K. Out-of-the-box, this model is delivered with an owners card that contains warranty information and a user’s manual. You also get a neat professional cloth work bag. The bag is big enough to comfortably fit this random orbit sander along with a few other accessories and tools. You do not get any extra 5” sanding pads with this purchase, sadly.
Who Should Buy?
We recommend the DeWalt DWE6423K to anyone looking for a quality and reliable random orbit sander for finishing work. It is not the most powerful orbital sander, mind you, but it is definitely more value for money when compared to even cheaper models like the Black & Decker BDERO100. Its 3 Amps motor is amply sufficient for any kind of sanding and the ease-of-use along with the variable speed is something that you will come to appreciate on the job. Bottom line, we highly recommend this model to everyone shopping for a random orbital sander!