DEWALT DW 716 Miter Saw – Read Our Latest Review
When making sensitive wood pieces like crown moldings, it is important to have an accurate and powerful wood cutting tool. After all, those pieces do not forgive mistakes. One power tool that excels in making those parts is the DeWalt DW716 miter saw.
In this DeWalt DW716 review, we are going to explore some of its features/benefits and see how it stacks up to other similarly competitive models from the same brand. You should get a better idea if this power tool is a good fit for your workshop or not.
Table of Contents
Features and Benefits of DeWalt DW716 Miter Saw
One recurring feature you will find in many workshops is the presence of a quality compound miter saw. This power tool is vital for anyone who wants to make accurate and professional cross cuts in wood. If you work with wood, either professionally or as a hobby, you need one!
Does the DW716 miter saw belong in your workshop? Let’s find out!
1. Dual-Bevel compound
The dual bevel of this unit makes it very versatile to work with. It can perform both angular cuts (right and left) and cross cuts at the same time. This feature is what sets this unit apart from other offerings in a similar price range.
2. Model Variant
The DW716 is sold as a vanilla model or an upgraded one with DeWalt's laser guided system (called DW 716 with XPS). If you need the accuracy and visual cues when cutting, DeWalt got you covered with the DW 716 with XPS model. Alternatively, the vanilla DW716 will be enough for most general purpose cutting jobs.
The 15-Amp motor can drive the 12-inch blades at 3,600 RPM. It is very powerful and provides continuous power when you need it the most. You do not want an under-powered compound miter saw when working with tough material like hardwood - and the DW716 truly delivers when you need it the most.
4. Quality Build
The build construction of this unit is second to none. It is apparent that DeWalt positioned this model as a premium-grade miter saw in its model lineup. (Note that there are even more premium models like the DWS 780. See below)
5. Robust 60-tooth Blades and Speed
This unit is shipped with a robust industry-standard 12 inches 60-tooth carbide blade that will munch through anything as if it was butter. Along with the respectable 3,600 RPM speed, the blade provides great comfort and ease of use. While 12-inch is pretty much the norm in a miter saw blade these days, the bonus 60-toothed blades, little vibrations and splinter-less cuts of this blade are worth mentioning.
6. Laser System Compatible (XPS)
This standard DW716 model is 100% compatible with DeWalt’s laser guiding system (DEWALT DW7187) that allows you to make even more accurate cuts. Furthermore, you can buy the DW 716 with XPS for a small additional fee for brighter LEDs lights and laser guided cuts.
7. 11 Angle Stops
Just like similar offerings like the DW 715, the DeWalt DW 716 miter saw has an angular lock that provides great versatility when cutting bevel edges in wood. With the simple push of a button, you can position the blades to your preferred or desired industry-standard angle and voila!
Having this nifty feature also means that all your bevel cuts will interlock into one another in a seamless fashion.
8. Easy to Use Fence
The fence of this unit is retractable and very easy to move. In addition to this, it comes with a sweet bonus! The blade guards automatically open when the fence is pushed forward making it very pleasurable to use. It is also a very smart security feature.
9. Benchtop Bolts
If you wish to place the DW716 on your workbench, it comes with pre-drilled holes that can be securely bolted to your work table. This will greatly help in reducing vibrations.
10. Dust Bag
The included dust bag serves its purpose keeping your table clean from sawdust during long cuttings. This also means that you will have a clean and clear line of sight over what you are cutting. Neat!
11. Ergonomic Form Factor
The entire shape and height of this unit makes it very ergonomic and enhances usage over long hours. If you cut a lot of material all day long, you will suffer from little to no fatigue with this unit. The fence is easy to work with. You will quickly find a position that works best for you and your natural body posture with this unit.
Pros of DeWalt DW 716:
There are many things that we like in the DeWalt DW716:
- Choice matters: You can choose whether you want the model with the XPS system or not. It obviously costs more, but the extra feature is not shoved down your throat. You get to decide!
- Portable and Lightweight: At only 44 lbs, it can easily be carried to the workplace and will quite easily fit the boot of a small car. It also has conveniences like pre-drilled benchtop holes for you to securely bolt it to a work bench. This immediately translates to fewer vibrations and more performance.
- Power: The 15-Amp motor sends a constant torque to the blades making it easy to cut even the toughest materials. Many customers say that it is a pleasure to use this unit, even for extended periods of time.
- 8” Depth of cut: The DW716 can make an impressive 8-inch depth of cut with its 12-inch carbide blades. It's a far cry from the 14-inch depth of cut of the higher end model - the DWS 780. But the result is professional and splinter-less, adequate for most general purpose cuts that need to be made quickly and professionally.
- Small form factor: At 27.5 x 20 x 18 inches, this compound miter consume a relatively small amount of space in your workshop. This is great, especially for people with a small workshop or if you often carry your tool to the work site.
- Affordable price: In its current price range, the DeWalt DW716 12-inch miter saw is unbeatable taking into account its performance to price ratio. This model from DeWalt is one of the best bang for the buck.
- Warranty: DeWalt backs the DW716 with a solid 3-year warranty. It is good to know that that they've got your back covered for quite a while with this purchase.
Cons of DeWalt DW 716:
- Small dust port. You may have to empty the dust bag when performing long cuttings frequently.
- Some customers have reported the LED light on the standard DW716 to be dim. (The DW 716 with XPS was bright though)
Comparison with Other Products
Compare to 2 product of DeWalts with same Blade size: DeWalt DW715 and DeWalt DWS780:
1. Comparison with DeWalt DW 715:
Pound for the pound, the DW 716 looks very similar to its smaller brother the DW 715. It can even be mistaken based on looks alone. But it comes with a more practical feature:
It can perform more versatile angular cuts of 0 to 48-degrees to both sides, the left and the right. The DeWalt DW 715 is limited to only 3-degrees to the right, a limitation the DW 716 does not have. After all, it is an upgrade from the DW 715.
If you make a lot of bevel cuts and don’t want to adjust materials on the miter saw table regularly trying to find the correct angle manually - the DW 716 is a great performer for angular cuts. It offers greater ease of use and versatility.
2. Comparison with DeWalt DWS 780:
Now that is a tough call. The DWS 780 is the reigning king in Dewalt’s lineup of compound miter saws. It's hard for David to win over Goliath with brute force alone. The DWS 780 has clearly better and fancier features than its smaller brother the DW 716.
The deep depth of cut of 14-inch offered by the DWS 780 is fantastic and versatile but speaks little to the average woodworker who tends to work with small lumber of no more than 6-inch in width.
The DW 716 also comes at a significantly lower price point than the DWS 780 with almost the same form factor and features. This should speak loud to buyers looking for a good deal.
Who Should Buy?
If you can’t afford more premium models like the DWS 780 and yet still want to get 95% of the features at a real budget-friendly price, the DW 716 is a great bargain. It offers excellent performance and reliability along with “premium-features” for both general purpose wood cutting as well as for professional carpentry work.
It is also perfect for beginners. This model has a straightforward and intuitive interface that anyone can master quickly. Therefore, if this is your first miter saw, you will come to fall in love with this unit and find the simple act of cutting wood quickly become very enjoyable.
The DeWalt 716 is a miter saw that does everything; from simple miter cuts to elaborate bevel cuts on both the left and right side. It can cope with the daily demands of a busy workshop and cut through any material not wider than 8-inch with great ease and accuracy. For anyone looking for a new or additional miter saw at a competitive price, this model is one of the best miter saws out there.
Last Updated on