The 5 Best Wood Chisel Set For Your Next Project
If you’re looking to start a new woodworking project, you’re going to need the right tools for the job.
A wood chisel is a hand tool that’s used to cut and shape wood. They are an essential part of any woodwork shop.
It’s one of the most important tools that you can have in your arsenal, so making sure that you choose the right one is key.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss the five best wood chisels on the market today. We’ll provide details on what makes each set unique, and will help you decide which one is best for your needs.
Table of Contents
- In A Hurry? Here Are Our Top Picks…
- The Best Wood Chisel Set: Our Top 5 Picks
- 1. Grebstk Professional Wood Chisel Set
- 2. Hurricane 4 Pieces Wood Chisel Set
- 3. REXBETI 10pc Premium Wood Chisel Set
- 4. Narex Woodworking Chisels
- 5. DEWALT Short Blade Wood Chisel
- Things To Consider When Choosing A Wood Chisel
- FAQs About The Best Wood Chisels
- Final Thoughts On The Best Wood Chisels
In A Hurry? Here Are Our Top Picks…
Last update on 2022-05-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Best Wood Chisel Set: Our Top 5 Picks
The Grebstk brand offers some of the best chisel sets around. They’re made with chrome vanadium steel blades for superior strength and resistance to wear and tear. The oiled finish helps keep the set protected against corrosion.
For optimal grip, the handles are made of beech wood and secured with a stainless band.
With the compact handle and sharp beveled edge, you have complete control over the carving chisels, which allows you to shape wood with ease and accuracy. It’ll be able to withstand significant impact as a result of its design.
Whether you’re a professional carpenter or just starting out, these chisels will help you get the job done right.
- Comes with one 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, 1-inch chisel and cap
- Zippered storage bag included
- Comes with kraft paper packaging
- Has integrated tackle trays
- Strong and rust-resistant
- Has a firm grip and is comfortable to use
- Blades are lightly lubricated, which aids in corrosion resistance
- Some users state that the metal rings around the handles are loose
With Grebstk Professional Wood Chisel Sets, you’ll have a quality tool for every trimming job.
The Hurricane 4 Pieces Wood Chisel Set is a fantastic set that includes four chisels of different sizes, which is perfect for various woodworking tasks.
The blades are forged from chrome-vanadium steel and heat-treated for edge retention that makes them tough and durable. They also come with a beveled edge for easy carving.
The high-impact PVC colored handles are transparent for easy size identification, and they have a lacquer coating that protects the blade, keeping it lubricated during use. Get your hands on this incredible woodworking set today!
- Made from drop forged chrome-vanadium steel
- Features a protective blade cap
- Comes with four pieces of high-grade chrome vanadium steel wood chisel set – 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, and 1 inch
- Features a PVC-colored transparent high-impact handle
- Durable and affordable
- Has a firm grip and it’s comfortable to use
- Can be sharpened quickly and precisely
- The metal rings around the handles can loosen.
This essential carving tool is great for all your softwood, hardwood, and laminated wood projects.
REXBETI 10-piece wood chisel set is perfect for beginning woodworkers as well as anyone who needs to upgrade their current equipment.
The CR-V steel blades are heat-treated and made of chrome vanadium steel alloy, which makes them incredibly durable.
The beveled edge is perfect for smooth, accurate cuts, while the high-impact handle provides a comfortable grip. There’s a chisel for every job, with sizes ranging from 1/4″ to 1-1/4″.
Additionally, the sharpening guide and sharpening stone make it easy to keep your tools sharp and in optimal condition.
- Comes with ten pieces – 6pc wood chisel, 2pc carpenter pencils, one honing guide, and one sharpening stone
- Has six protective caps, one for each chisel
- Comes with six pieces of high-grade chrome vanadium steel wood chisel set – 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, 1 inch, 1-1/4inch, and 1-1/2inch chisels
- Features a compact storage case
- Has ergonomic rubbery handles that make them easy to hold onto for extended projects
- Easy to store and carry about
- Can be sharpened quickly and precisely
- The metal is visibly porous
The REXBETI 10pc Premium Wood Chisel Set is perfect for beginning woodworkers as well as those who need to replace or upgrade their current equipment.
Narex woodworking chisels are some of the finest around. They’re created by a reputable tool company in the Czech Republic, and have a reputation for their great quality.
Their blades are manufactured from Rc 59 hardened, fine-grained chrome-manganese steel. They maintain a razor-sharp edge and have a narrower cross-section.
Like every other edge tool, they’ll need a thorough honing before initial use, but it’s an easy and quick operation. Furthermore, these chisels are an excellent value for a top-notch instrument.
This six-piece set contains the following sizes: ¼ inch, ⅜ inch, ½ inch, ⅝ inch, 13/16 inch, and 1- 1/32 inches.
- Comes in a wooden presentation box
- Handles made from stained European Beech
- Blades are composed of finely tempered chrome-manganese, Rc 59 hardened fine-grained steel
- Pack contains a six piece set that contains the following sizes: ¼ inch, ⅜ inch, ½ inch, ⅝ inch, 13/16 inch, and 1- 1/32 inches
- Durable and affordable
- Has a non-slip grip which makes it comfortable to use
- Can be sharpened quickly and precisely
- Tools do not come pre-sharpened
The Narex Woodworking Chisels are an excellent value for a good quality tool.
DWHT16063 Short Blade Wood Chisel 4-piece set includes four hardened, tempered chrome carbon-steel blades that are durable and long-lasting.
The blades are also lacquered to resist corrosion, which ensures that your tools will look great and last for years.
The ergonomically designed bi-material handle is comfortable and protective, which provides extra grip and control as you work.
- Comes with a hardened, tempered chrome carbon-steel blade
- Features a hardened strike cap
- Has an ergonomically designed bi-material handle
- Blade is lacquered to resist corrosion
- Blade is coated for corrosion protection
- Comfortable and easy to use
- Handles are too close to the blade and are too thick
- Edges can chip off
When you need a sharp, reliable chisel for your woodworking projects, reach for the DEWALT DWHT16063 Short Blade Wood Chisel 4 piece set.
Things To Consider When Choosing A Wood Chisel
When looking to purchase a wood chisel, there are a few factors you’ll need to take into account. Here are some of the most important factors to consider:
Purpose Of The Chisel
The first thing you need to ask yourself is: what will you be using the chisel for? If you’re a carpenter, you’ll need a different set of chisels than someone who’s just starting out in woodworking. Chisels come in all shapes and sizes to ensure that you choose the right ones for your needs.
Quality Of The Chisel
In a wood chisel set, the material quality is critical. A good chisel set should last for many uses before sharpening it.
An A2 steel chisel is appropriate because it can withstand frequent usage before having to sharpen it. Because of the metallurgical qualities of chrome and vanadium, the blades that have CR-V casting or coating retain sharpness significantly longer.
Sharpening them, on the other hand, can be a time-consuming task for some people. This is why some people dislike them. The Hurricane 4-Piece Wood Chisel Set is an excellent example.
Chisels made of 01 carbon steel or mild alloy are good if you’d like a more workable edge in terms of sharpening.
They’re easy to sharpen, but that means that you’ll have to regrind them more regularly because the chisel edge sharpness degrades quickly.
Chisels come in various handle types, so it’s crucial to find one that’s comfortable and offers a good grip. Some handles are more carved than others, which provides a better grip.
It’s also vital to find chisels with handles made from a durable material that can tolerate the pounding of a hammer or other tool. Wood materials are commonly used for handles, but it’s essential to make sure that the wood is durable.
One great example is hornbeam, which is a very hard timber that’s used for butchers’ chopping blocks, piano hammers, wood screws, coach wheels, and cogs for windmills and watermills.
Length And Width Of The Blade
When it comes to the length and width of the blade, it’s vital that you choose a chisel that’s the right size for the job. A chisel that’s too large or too small can make the task at hand more difficult.
The best way to find out what size of blade you need is to measure the thickness of the wood that you’ll be working with, and then find a chisel that is the closest size to that measurement.
If you need a narrow blade for detail work, then make sure you choose a set that offers different widths. The same goes for length; if you need a longer blade, make sure the chisel set you choose has one that’s long enough.
When it comes to edge shape, chisels come in various shapes. The most common is the straight edge, but you can also find chisels with curved or beveled edges. Curved edges are great for quickly removing large amounts of wood, while beveled edges are better suited for detail work.
The type of wood you’re working with will also determine the type of chisel you need. Not all types of wood are suitable for use with a chisel. Some woods, like oak or cherry, are harder than others and can be difficult to work with.
Softer woods, like pine or poplar, are better suited for beginners because they’re easier to work with and don’t require as much force to cut into the wood.
Beech is a hardwood, so you’ll need a chisel to handle a tougher job. If you’re working with a softer wood, like pine, then you can get away with using a less durable chisel.
FAQs About The Best Wood Chisels
How Do You Sharpen A Wood Chisel?
Wood chisels can be sharpened with a sharpening stone or diamond sharpener. First, find the angle you need to sharpen the blade at. This will depend on the type of edge shape your chisel has.
Second, hold the blade against the honing stone (or diamond sharpener) and use a circular motion to sharpen the blade. Make sure to sharpen both sides of the blade.
Can I Use A Wood Chisel On Metal?
No, you should never use a wood chisel on metal; it will damage the blade. If you need to cut metal, then use a metal-cutting saw instead.
How To Store Wood Chisels Safely?
Wood chisels should be stored in a safe place where they can’t get damaged. You can keep them in a toolbox or a cabinet with other tools.
What Size Chisels Should I Buy?
The size of the chisel you need depends on the job you’re doing. If you’re just starting, then a set of basic chisels in different sizes will be fine. More experienced woodworkers may want to invest in a set of specialty chisels.
A set of ¼-inch, ½-inch, ¾-inch, and 1-inch bench chisels can handle most jobs.
Final Thoughts On The Best Wood Chisels
When it comes to woodworking, having the right tools is essential. A good set of chisels is a must-have for any workshop.
There are many different wood chisels on the market, so it’s important to do your research before purchasing. It’s important to consider the purpose of the chisels, the quality of the material, and your personal preferences before buying the best wood chisels that suit your needs.
You can also check out our article on best carving knives of the year.
Last Updated on April 30, 2022 by Tom Bradly