10 Best Backpack Sprayers for Fertilizer, Herbicides and Pesticides
Whether you are a professional gardener or you just like growing plants around your compound gardening is always a very rewarding experience. But after planting your garden and getting some healthy vegetables and flowers, you will need to maintain them.
Maintenance of the plants is always the hardest part of gardening, but with a backpack sprayer, things should be easier. This sprayer will help you keep the pests out and ensure that the plant remain healthy as it makes it easy to apply herbicides, fertilizer, and pesticides. And if you get one of the top models you will not have to put in a lot of effort because it makes everything simple.
10 Best Backpack Sprayers - Reviews
1. Chapin 61900 Tree and Turf Pro Backpack Sprayer
15 - 60 PSI
2. Field King 190328 No Leak Pump Backpack Sprayer
3. Roundup 190327 Backpack Sprayer With No Leak Pump
4. Chapin 63985 Wide Mouth Backpack Sprayer
35 - 40 PSI
5. Solo 425 Professional Piston Backpack Sprayer
6. Rainmaker Backpack Sprayer
7. Oregon 518769 Backpack Sprayer
8. Seaflo Battery Powered Backpack Sprayer
9. Hudson 97154 SP1 Multi-Purpose Backpack Sprayer
10. Stanley 61804 Professional Backpack Sprayer
#1. Chapin 61900 Tree and Turf Pro Backpack Sprayer
Editor's Rating: (4.3 / 5)
Chapin 61900 is among the most versatile backpack sprayers on our list because you can use it to spray almost all types of weed killers, pesticides, and fertilizers. It features a 4-gallon tank that is large enough for spraying a vast area without the need to refill. This unit also has a 3-stage filtration system that includes a removable in-tank filter for optimal performance and easy cleaning.
The cushion grip on this sprayer has 3 nozzles that you can use for a variety of applications which also help to add to the versatility of this unit. And to ensure easy cleaning and refilling it comes with a 4-inch wide mouth opening on the tank with an easy to open cap and strainer basket to keep debris and dirt out.
Also, the Chapin 61900 has some comfortable backpack straps and back pad that ensure you can carry a full tank for many hours comfortably.
- 4-gallon tank is large enough for domestic and commercial use.
- 3-stage filtration guarantees optimal performance.
- Usable with most common herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers.
- 3-nozzle types offer a variety of applications
- Padded shoulders provide extra comfort.
- 4-inch wide opening on tank makes cleaning and filling easy
- It requires frequent and consistent pumping to maintain the pressure.
Who Should Buy?
The capacity and the fact that you can use this unit for spraying almost all types of herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers makes it an excellent pick for a homeowner looking for something for multipurpose use. However, it can also work well for commercial landscapers.
#2. Field King 190328 No Leak Pump Backpack Sprayer
Editor's Rating: (4.6 / 5)
The Field King 190328 is a professional grade unit and one of the best backpack sprayers in the market thanks to its no leak design. It has an internal no-leak pump that makes this one of the safest sprayers to use on our list as it ensures that chemicals never drip down the back.
This professional backpack sprayer comes with a 21-inch poly wand that has some Viton seals to prevent chemical resistance, and it is one of the most durable out there. And you will never have to worry about storing it because the unit has integrated storage for the wand.
The large tank has a wide open that includes a cap with a one-way valve to prevent spillage if you invert the tank and a filtration basket to keep the debris out. Finally, it has a 4 nozzle system that includes an adjustable brass nozzle, foaming nozzle, and 2 flat fans. Also, it can use the TeeJet nozzle.
- No Leak pump makes it safe to use.
- 21-inch poly wand is durable and includes high-quality Viton seals.
- Easy access pump makes it possible to change seals fast.
- Shut-off is lockable, and it has some brass components.
- 4-nozzles make it ideal for multipurpose use.
- Comfort grip helps to reduce hand fatigue.
- In-line filter is efficient in reducing clogging.
- The pump on this sprayer is quite noisy.
Who Should Buy?
This unit has a diaphragm pump that produces more pressure than most others in the market which makes it an excellent product for a domestic and commercial user that wants something that can spray chemicals at very high pressures.
#3. Roundup 190327 Backpack Sprayer With No Leak Pump
Editor's Rating: (4.5 / 5)
The Roundup 190327 has an exclusive no leak pump that will ensure that your back always remains dry. This backpack weed sprayer has some paddles that will keep all the powders and liquids in a solution state and ready to spray. The pump has some Viton seals that you can change fast without using any tools. They are the fastest and easiest to change in this list, and you can do it up to 7 times quicker than the competing brands.
Roundup 190327 has a premium shut-off that offers a comfortable grip, and it also includes a lockable trigger that is useful for preventing hand fatigue. Also, this unit comes with an in-line filter that prevents clogging for continuous spraying.
This backpack sprayer can spray up to 150 PSI which gives it one of the highest pressures on our list and makes it perfect for dealing with the hard to reach places. And it includes a pressure regulator that can keep it at 25 PSI which is ideal for weed killers and herbicides. For maximum comfort, the manufacturer gives it a waist belt, padded and adjustable shoulder straps and a chest cinch strap.
- No leak pump makes it safer for use.
- Lockable trigger prevents hand fatigue
- Comfort grip on the shut-off makes it ideal for extended use
- 21-inch wand includes Viton seal and is also very durable
- Removable in-line filter prevents clogging
- 150 PSI pressure makes it perfect for hard to reach places
- Foldable pump handle is reversible to make both right and left hand use possible
- Replacement parts can be difficult to get and repairing it is also not easy
Who Should Buy?
Roundup 190327 can reach pressures of up to 150 PSI which makes it ideal for spraying hard to reach places. If you are shopping for a backpack sprayer to use in small and tight spaces, this is the perfect choice for you.
#4. Chapin 63985 Wide Mouth 20V Battery Backpack Sprayer
Editor's Rating: (4.4 / 5)
Most battery-powered backpack sprayer reviews will always include the Chapin 63985 as it is one of the best in this category. The fact that it is the most expensive unit in our list shows that it is a very high-quality model that will make spraying very easy.
This battery sprayer comes with a 4-gallon tank that is perfect when you have large areas to cover and the 20-Volt battery help to ensure it can run for 1.75 hours continuously. Also, the tank has a 6-inch wide mouth which is the biggest on our list, and it makes it also the easiest to fill and clean.
Chapin 63985 comes with a cushion grip shut-off that has some three nozzles to ensure that you can use this sprayer for several applications. And lastly, it has some padded shoulder straps that make it comfortable enough to carry for long.
- 20-volt lithium battery provides up to 1.75 hours of continuous spraying.
- 35-40 PSI is perfect for most herbicides, pesticides and weed killers.
- 4-gallon tank will accommodate enough solution to cover large areas.
- 6-inch wide mouth makes cleaning and filling easy.
- Shut-off has a cushion grip and 3 nozzles for multipurpose use.
- Padded shoulders make it comfortable for prolonged use.
- Shut-off does not include the lock on/off feature.
Who Should Buy?
Chapin 63985 is battery backpack sprayer that can spray for up to 1.75 hours continuously. This unit is very convenient and is perfect for a person that wants to spray a large area with minimum hand fatigue and at a stable pressure.
#5. Solo 425 Professional Piston Backpack Sprayer
Editor's Rating: (4.2 / 5)
The Solo 425 is one of the best-rated backpack sprayers in this list and on the market. This unit has a piston pump with pressure capabilities of up to 90 PSI and it can handle herbicides, fertilizers, pesticides, liquid disinfectants and the solutions for trees and shrubs. It has a 4-gallon tank, and with a total weight of 14 pounds, it is one of the heaviest in our list. Also, the tank has a 4.35-inch mouth at the top for easy cleaning and filling.
This Solo Inc sprayer has a commercial shut-off valve that also includes the Lock-on/lock-off feature and it useful for minimizing hand fatigue. The Viton seals in the key locations ensure that it will give you long service and also make it very durable. Also, the pump handle is interchangeable to allow for both left and right-hand use.
Finally, this sprayer has a 48-inch long hose with nylon reinforcement to provide an extended reach and 4 nozzles (adjustable, hollow cone, fan spray, and jet stream) for multiple uses.
- Handles pesticides, liquid disinfectants, herbicides and fertilizers efficiently.
- Piston pump gives it increased pressure capabilities (up to 90 PSI)
- Commercial shut-off has lock-on/lock-off to ensure minimum hand fatigue
- Viton seals in all the key places ensure you always get long service and maximum durability
- Pump has an interchangeable handle for right and left-hand use
- 48-inch high-pressure hose provides extended use
- It will not work very well for spot spraying
Who Should Buy?
This backpack sprayer has a 48-inch long hose which is longer than most others in the same category. And so it makes it the right choice for professionals and individuals that want some extra reach.
#6. Rainmaker Backpack Sprayer
Editor's Rating: (4.3 / 5)
The Rainmaker Backpack Sprayer is the cheapest unit on this list, but it is still a top notch sprayer that will come in handy at home. It has a 4-gallon tank that will eliminate the need to keep refilling as it carries enough solution for large sections and it also has an integrated filter to make the spraying even easier for you.
Rainmaker is also the lightest unit in our list which makes it an excellent choice for extended use. It is a very convenient unit since the trigger comes with a lock-on option that makes continuous spraying possible and it is an all purpose sprayer that you can use for various home applications.
- 4 interchangeable nozzles make it ideal for different applications
- Trigger has a lock-on option that you can use for continuous spraying
- 4-foot long hose provides extended reach
- Sprayer includes an integrated filter
- All purpose sprayer as it works for liquid fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides and many other home applications
- Handle is hard to secure due to the shape and design of this sprayer
Who Should Buy?
Homeowners and professionals looking for an affordable and high-quality backpack sprayer with a large capacity should go for this unit. Although it is the cheapest on the list, it still has a 4-gallon tank capacity which is large enough for most users.
#7. Oregon 518769 Backpack Sprayer
Editor's Rating: (5 / 5)
Oregon 518769 is one of the lightest and cheapest sprayers on our list which means it is easy to handle, and you do not need to spend a lot of cash to own it. Despite its lightweight and compact size, it can still accommodate up to an impressive 4 gallons of water in the non-pasteurized tank. The tank also has a wide mouth to make cleaning and filling easy for you.
This Oregon backpack sprayer has a flexible 6 feet long hose which is one of the longest in this list. With such a long hose you can spray all the hard to reach places with ease. Also, it includes a lance holder and a spray nozzle that makes it possible to choose between an adjustable cone and flat fan.
- 6-feet long hose makes it possible to reach tight and hard to reach areas
- Spray and lance nozzle
- Provide multipurpose use
- Spare seal kit makes repairs easy
- Shoulder straps are wide enough and with sufficient padding
- Non-pasteurized tank holds up to 4 gallons of water
- Lance holder makes storage easy
- It will not be very durable for the frequent users
Who Should Buy?
Oregon 518769 is a compact and lightweight sprayer which makes it very easy to handle. And so if you do not have a lot of storage space it is perfect for you. Also, it is ideal for someone that wants an affordable sprayer with a long reach.
#8. Seaflo Battery Powered Backpack Sprayer
Editor's Rating: (4.8 / 5)
Seaflo makes some of the best commercial backpack sprayers in the market, and this battery-powered unit is one of their top models. It is a fully-automatic sprayer that will help to ensure that you do not always end up with tired and achy hands after spraying. And it is also multipurpose as you can use it for spraying chemicals, water, and most other liquids.
With its 4-gallon tank and a rechargeable battery that can last up to 6 hours, this sprayer is perfect for both light and heavy-duty spraying making it ideal for both domestic and commercial use. This Seaflo product will come with all the essential accessories including a spray wand, battery, and a charger.
With a total weight of 15 pounds, this is the heaviest unit on our list, but it is also one of the sturdiest on the market. Finally, the company backs it with a 1-year warranty for the battery and 4-year warranty for the spraying unit.
- Fully automatic to ensure that you do not tire your hand
- 6-hour battery life is longer than what you get with most other units
- Ideal for water, pesticides, chemicals and most other liquids
- Sprayer comes with all essential accessories including battery and its charger
- 4-gallon tank is perfect for heavy use
- 4-year warranty for spraying unit and 1-year battery warranty
- It does not offer many nozzle options
Who Should Buy?
You can use this unit to spray almost anything including water and most liquids making it perfect for someone that wants something for multipurpose and automatic use. Also, it will work for both light and heavy spraying.
#9. Hudson 97154 SP1 Professional Multi-Purpose Backpack Sprayer
Editor's Rating: (4.6 / 5)
Hudson 97154 is a high performing backpack sprayer that will ensure that you always get value for your money. Although it is the second most expensive item on our list, it is also one of the best in the market according to backpack sprayer reviews, and so you will get value for the cash you spend on it.
This sprayer operates on a diaphragm pump that can produce up to 70 PSI of pressure which is sufficient for most domestic and commercial spraying projects. It has some Viton seals that help to prevent leaks and provide chemical resistance and a 20-inch brass wand that is very durable.
The 4-gallon translucent tank will make it possible to monitor the liquid level, and it has some padded straps that are also adjustable. Lastly, the spray hose is 47 inches long, and the sprayer comes with a brass cone nozzle and 3 plastic flat fan nozzles.
- 4-gallon tank is translucent to make it possible to see the level of liquid
- Solid steel pump handle is very durable
- Viton seals help to prevent leaks
- Locking shut-off valve provides convenient use
- 47-inch industrial hose will help you spray hard to reach areas
- In-line filter is useful in clog prevention
- It is not a motorized sprayer
Who Should Buy?
Hudson 97154 SP1 performs very well and will always give you value for your money. This unit is an excellent choice for anyone that wants a high-quality non-motorized sprayer.
#10. Stanley 61804 4-Gallon Professional Backpack Sprayer
Editor's Rating: (4 / 5)
The Stanley 61804 is a mid-priced backpack weed sprayer that will help you spray all types of agrochemicals efficiently. This sprayer comes with an adjustable handle that makes both left and right-hand pumping possible. The 4-gallon tank can accommodate enough liquid for large areas, and it is also easy to refill thanks to the large mouth. Also, this tank has a strainer basket to trap debris to prevent contamination.
Stanley 61804 has a large pump that will make work easy for the user because you can achieve sufficient and consistent pressure without doing a lot of pumping. The easy to operate spray handle is also an excellent feature because it makes continuous operation possible. Lastly, it has some multi-purpose nozzle tips that include a fan and an adjustable cone.
- Adjustable handle makes it possible to spray from both the right and left hand
- Poly wand is very durable, and it comes with an adjustable poly tip
- Shoulder straps have enough padding and are adjustable for maximum comfort
- Bonus brass nozzle included on the package
- Wide mouth opening includes a strainer basket to prevent contamination
- Large pump provides sufficient pressure with less pumping
- It can be difficult to operate for first-time users
Who Should Buy?
This unit is the best backpack sprayer for someone looking for something high-quality within the mid-price range and with a large tank capacity.
>> Read More: Best Bug Sprays to Buy
Things to Consider When Buying a Backpack Sprayer
Backpack sprayer reviews always come in handy when trying to find one to use in your lawn or garden, but it is always vital to know the things to take into account when making your choice. Although your intended uses are what determine the right backpack sprayer for you, it is also important to consider the following important things before settling on one.
#1. Manual or Motorized
If you want to spray a large area a motorized sprayer will be the best one for you because you do not have to maintain the pressure with your hand. For small areas and new infestations, hand-operated sprayers work just fine, and this is more so if it comes with a switchable handle that you can operate using both the left and right hands.
Also, things like cost, weight, and maintenance should influence your choice because the motorized ones tend to be heavier and more expensive that the manual sprayers.
#2. Pump Type
You will need to choose between a diaphragm and piston pump when buying a backpack sprayer. Although they are both capable of pumping out the agrochemicals, it is important to understand the merits and demerits of each pump so that you can make an informed decision.
Piston pumps are the most affordable between the two but they will not work with some types of herbicides, and they also wear out fast meaning you have to replace them regularly. The diaphragm one, on the other hand, is more durable and will work with almost all types of herbicides. Also, you can repair them quickly.
There are different kinds of nozzles for the backpack sprayer, but the most common ones are the fan, cone, adjustable and direct stream. It is essential to understand that the type of nozzle that you choose to use will not only affect the pressure but also the size of the area that you can spray and the kind of spray that you will get.
It is also important to choose the best nozzle material for the different options available. Plastic tips are quite common and affordable, but they are not very durable. Nickel and brass ones, on the other hand, tend to be pricier but will also last for many years.
#4. Comfort and Safety
Comfort and safety are vital when spraying the chemicals on your plants and so it is important to make sure that you get a unit that guarantees both. A spray wand grip, full sized pumps, and comfortable and adjustable straps are some of the things that help to make the backpack sprayer comfortable. Also, the straps should be chemical-resistant to ensure that it does not get to your body.
To ensure maximum safety, you should also look for a sprayer with Viton rubber seals that are not prone to softening or swelling due to the herbicides as they will prevent leakages and ensure that the pump does not break down.
Last Updated on August 7, 2020 by Tom Bradly