Porter-Cable CMB15 Air Compressor Review
The Porter-Cable CMB15 is an air compressor that has gained popularity for being lightweight and its compact size. This feature makes it one of the perfect air compressors available for persons looking for a unit they can carry with ease. In addition to its portability, the unit presents high robustness and maximum performance.
Currently, the brand of this air compressor is making ripples in the market. With many great reviews, the unit is the envy of most. But even with all this, you probably are wondering if the air compressor is worth all that. Well, the below-detailed review will shed more light on this.
If you want to buy an air compressor, here are some reviews that I recommend to read such as DWFP55130 air compressor, PCFP02003 pancake air compressor, 12V portable air compressor, portable air compressor, small air compressor, pancake air compressor, quiet air compressor.
Table of Contents
Porter-Cable CMB15 Air Compressor Review
#1. Technical Features
The Porter-Cable CMB15 has a motor that generates 150 PSI which is enough power to cater to 2 or even 3 medium powered tools simultaneously. At only 40 PSI, the unit will provide you with 3.0 CFM. Ideally, the more CFM you will require the more PSI you will need – the two are directly proportional. All in all, you can inflate tires power your nail guns and even build a fence with the power provided.
The motor also develops 0.8 HP. This might seem to be on the lower side but when compared to other air compressors like the Rolair FC1500HBP2 which features a 3400 RPM motor and only delivers 0.75 HP. The latter unit even costs more than the Porter-Cable CMB15. When comparing air compressors, be sure to take into consideration the running HP rather than the peak HP as this, most often than not tends to be misleading at the start.
The motor on this unit runs on 120V which is pretty much the industry standard of most portable air compressors available on the market. In addition to this, the motor system features a technology that allows it to start even in cold weather which is an added plus.
The Porter-Cable CMB15 is a compact sized air compressor. The unit weighs only 20 pounds which make it highly portable. Very few products can compete with this unit at such a level. In comparison to the Rolair FC1500HBP2, despite being a 1.5-gallon air compressor, it weighs a shocking 40 pounds. This is exactly double the weight for double the price. The Porter-Cable CMB15 is in all ways a bargain.
As earlier stated, this unit is compact. The product measures 15.5 x 13.2 x 20.5 inches. As for the tank, it has a capacity of 1.5 gallons which is perfect for those small tasks and projects.
The unit registers at 79 decibels which is a quieter rating than most of the Porter-Cable air compressor series of products including the Porter-Cable PCFP02003 and the PCFP12234. In all fairness though, they are slightly larger and come packing greater power, but with regards to the noise levels, the Porter-Cable CMB15 comes out on top.
Note, however, that even with the 79-decibel noise rating, you might not get away with late night projects. But you will have a calm and quiet workstation and in the event, you are working out in the open, you will not have to work through angry stares from your neighbors.
#2. Other Features
- Single stage pump: This unit runs a single stage pump which is a new technology design that allows oil-free use. The nonstick piston instead lubricates the walls of the cylinder. The lack of oil lubrication helps to keep the unit lightweight and most important, maintenance free.
- Rubber feet: this helps to provide a durable and stable design even when the unit is placed on slippery surfaces. The rubber feet, in addition to increasing friction and the grip of the unit to the surface, also helps to absorb vibrations which in turn result in reduced noise levels.
- Enclosed exterior design: this helps in providing protection from moving parts as well as high temperatures. The design also works to keep most of the noise contained.
This air compressor comes with a handful of accessories that are convenient in helping you to save cash as well as time. Upon making a purchase, in addition to getting an air compressor, the packaging also includes a 25-foot nylon coil hose, 2 tapered nozzles, an inflation needle, 0.25 inch of tire chuck, Teflon tape, 2-piece high flow deflator/inflator, and a hose adapter.
This is by far the strongest feature of this product when compared to other Porter-Cable air compressors. The price is affordable and even, we dare say, on the cheaper end. This unit has a great build and design. The manufacturers made it long lasting and dependable. Despite the unit being slightly smaller in tank capacity, it has the ability to hold its own when it is needed to.
- Highly durable and portable at 20 pounds
- The air compressor starts perfectly and with great ease in booth hot and cold weather
- The noise levels of this unit are reduced coming in at 79 decibels
- With the oil-free pump, the unit needs little to no maintenance
- Huge controls and gauges that are easily accessible and visible
- Quick recovery time for continuous tasks
- Not suitable for heavy air tools and heavy duty tasks
- Improper setting up of the unit may lead to leakage
Who Should Buy?
Considering the design and the overall features of the air compressor, you will be pleased to note that this unit is a perfect choice for those individuals who are working on small airing tasks. The high powered motor and high performance of the unit will work wonders for all with small projects on their hands.
Last Updated on January 19, 2019 by Tom Bradly