Should I Buy Hitachi SB8V2 ? Read Our Review
The belt sander is an indispensable power tool in the workshop. It is used to power sand surface material fast without much effort. If you're looking for a belt sander for your workshop, the Hitachi SB8V2 is a popular variable speed belt sander that is used by both professionals and beginners every day. But is this model really worth the hard-earned money?
If you want to buy a sander, here are some reviews that I recommend you to read such as drum sander, random orbit sander, belt sander, belt-disc sander, spindle sander, palm sander, detail sander, Makita 9403.
Table of Contents
Hitachi SB8V2 Belt Sander Review
One of the things we like the most about the Hitachi SB8V2 is its 9.0-Amp motor. It is not the most powerful motor we have reviewed in a belt sander, but it is a fairly decent power that will get the job done. It also has a very decent price to performance ratio that makes it value for money. But more on that later on. It is important when working with a belt sander that the motor provides sufficient torque to the abrasive sanding belt and pulley drums. With this rated power, this belt sander will deliver excellent torque for a powerful and comfortable material sanding.
As almost a standard feature in belt sanders these days, the Hitachi SB8V2 comes with a variable speed that can easily be adjusted with the speed dial located at the side of the handle. It can perform a speed of 820 - 1475 ft/min which is versatile enough for most sanding purposes, whether it is preparatory work or finishing jobs. A variable speed allows you to adapt to the material surface, and when used with an appropriate sanding pad grit it delivers a lot of versatility and control over the finishing quality.
A belt sander would not be a very practical tool if not for the finishing quality. Indeed, one of the greatest things about using a belt sander is its versatility that allows you to get a great finishing quality fine-tuned to your liking. When fitted with a lower grit sanding pad, this 3” x 21” belt sander will remove a lot of material fast. This is ideal for preparatory work like removing paint and veneer on the surface of materials. It does not have the largest sanding pad, limited to only a 3 inches width, but it is sufficient for most general purpose sanding. When used with a higher great sanding pad, it delivers a smooth and polished finish ideal for finishing work. The variable speed control in this model and its ability to accommodate a wide range of sanding pad makes it very versatile in delivering any type of finish quality you want.
Of course, user-friendliness is at the center of the belt sander. Many people will be using this device for long hours, so it stands to reason that it has very user-friendly features. Let's see how user-friendly this Hitachi belt sander really is.
- Grip: The grip is coated with a soft elastomer surface making it very comfortable to hold. Even for long hours. Additionally, the ergonomic form factor of the handle makes it ideal for those who will be using this bad send for long hours. It does a great job diminishing fatigue and the soft elastomer surface even help prevent hands sweating.
- Vibration: This Hitachi belt sander has a ball bearing mechanism at the rollers that help diminish vibrations. With less vibration, you are left with a more comfortable belt sander to work with that is also more accurate when removing material.
- Lightweight: At around 9.5lbs, this model is not the lightest belt sander on the market. However, since it will mostly be sitting on the surface it is not much of an inconvenience. On the plus side, the weight of this unit helps in producing a more efficient sanding. In any case, this belt sander is definitely much lighter than the Makita 9403 with its 13 pounds. If portability is an important factor for you, then this Hitachi belt sander is one of the best belt sander solutions for your need.
- Feeling of user: Overall, the elastomer surface and general ergonomic form factor make the Hitachi SB8V2 a very comfortable belt sander. The front handle makes it easy to maneuver this belt sander over material. Overall, customers of this belt sander talk about how comfortable it is, especially when used for long hours.
This model incorporates a dust collection bag that does a good job filtering debris and accumulating sawdust. This allows you to sand in a clean environment for better productivity. In addition, the sanding bag in this model is a retrofitted to the left side which allows you to make corner angles more easily. This is a feature that we wished most belt sander manufacturers start implementing because it is really helpful.
- V-belt: This model employs a V-belt system that is more efficient and wear-resistant than conventional belts. It also allows this unit to last longer.
- Transparent tracking window: the tracking window allows you to view your belts as well as sanding pads. This is a handy feature that will quickly help you tell the status of your belt sander during operation.
- Upgradable parts: Parts like the handle, speed dial and clear front cover are replaceable.
You can purchase this Hitachi belt sander as a single unit or belt sander with sanding belt kit. You will get an additional sanding belt with the kit version, but it costs a little more. In general, the Hitachi SB8V2 is one of the most competitively priced out sanders out there. Compared to professional belt sander models like the Makita 9403, it offers exceptional value at a much cheaper price.
- Decent and competitively priced product.
- Decent motor of 9 Amps. Enough for most sanding tasks.
- Variable speed control of 820 - 1475 ft/min allows you to adapt to the material surface.
- Good build quality that is also durable.
- The front handle allows you to hold this belt sander very ergonomically.
- Includes a cloth dust collection bag that traps debris. Can be easily cleaned.
- V-Belt for longevity and transparent tracking window.
- Low noise output allows you to work without using noise canceling headsets.
- The belt tracking in this model is not the best and will need readjustment from time to time. Not a big issue, but it's worth mentioning.
YouTube channel HitachiToolCorner1 made a good review of the Hitachi SB8V2. The reviewer talks about the maneuverability along with the various features like variable speed control and tracking window of this model. If you're interested in this belt sander model, then his quick video is an excellent watch as it shows you what to expect out of this product.
What Does It Include?
Out of the box, this Hitachi belt sander is one of the most basic model we have seen. It only comes with the belt sander, an 80 grit belt and a connectable dust bag. And that’s about it. 80 grit belts are standard belts that most manufacturers ship their models with. The good thing is that you can always replace those belts with lower or higher grits at your convenience.
Who Should Buy?
We like to think that Hitachi SB8V2 as offering a nice balance between performance and price. It is not the cheapest belt sander money can buy, but it is also not the most expensive. It is certainly very competitive and much more affordable when compared to other more expensive models like the Makita 9403. If you are on a strict budget and need a performing and versatile belt sander, then this Hitachi belt sander will fit the bill. We recommended it!
Last Updated on