Delta Power Tools 22-555 Review – Should I Buy This Planer?
The wood planer is a very powerful and efficient power tool for straightening wood planks. It does so in record-breaking time without any user intervention. This power tool is ideal when working with a large number of stock that needs straightening. If you are looking for a wood planer for your workshop, the Delta Power Tools 22-555 is a popular model that is recommended by many experts. But is it really worth the money? Here is our hands on review of the Delta 22-555. Hopefully, it will help you decide if this wood planer belongs in your workshop or not.
- Powerful 15A motor capable of handling the most demanding jobs
- Four column design provides excellent stability for smooth, accurate planning
- Quick-change knife system with dual edge disposable knives lets you change knives without difficult to use alignment jigs
Last update on 2020-07-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Table of Contents
Delta Power Tools 22-555 Planer Review
Without further ado, let us go into the details about this Rikon bandsaw.
The motor power is perhaps the most important aspect of a wood planer. Without sufficient power, the planer will stall or do a bad job delivering a consistent cut on the surface of your material. The Delta 22-555 is equipped with a powerful 15 Amps motor that delivers enough torque to the 2 knives in this unit for a fast, powerful and efficient material surface shaving. With this kind of power, this Delta wood planer will work easily with both softwood and hardwood without breaking a sweat.
This model is literally overkill for almost anyone in need of a wood planer. It can work with stock of a maximum of 13 inches wide. As we can see, this is more than enough. Most commercially available materials like engineered lumber or wood planks are rarely wider than 10 inches. In fact, raw lumber is usually sold with a thickness of only 7 inches. This beast can easily work with stock with a 13 inches width that is more than enough for the average woodworker.
The thickness capacity is where this Delta 22-555 wood planer shines the most. It has a maximum stock capacity of 6 inches high, which again is seriously overkill for any type of woodworking. Let us not forget that commercially available wood planks are really not thicker than 1-1/2 inches. With the extra thickness capacity of this planer, you get more versatility and room to work with thicker material like raw lumber. Raw lumber is usually extremely cheap and you can save a lot of money buying wood for cheap and shaving them with this unit.
One of the main advantages of this particular model is the spaciousness it provides. Unlike other wood planers that tend to be compact and difficult to interact with, this Delta model offers a lot of space so that you can maneuver your material in and out in quickly and easily.
Additionally, the open space means that you can see your work more easily. Additionally, it allows you to change the disposable knives more easily. Indeed, with everything in clear view, you also get to see how well your cutters are performing and make maintenance easier - without the need of opening the device.
One of the biggest problems that woodworkers face when working with a wood planer is sawdust. This power tool shaves so much material of the surface of stock that it also outputs a lot of sawdust. This Delta 22-555 Planer does a good job providing a dust collection system that helps keep your workshop clean. But it does not stop there. It provides a reversible dust port that gives you the choice on how you want to connect this device to your dust extraction system.
Despite being an open space wood planer with everything in sight, it does a good job keeping the dangerous knives anyway from your hands. In fact, when the unit is operational, it is not possible to touch the spinning knives as they are hidden away. In addition, a great safety feature in this unit is the placement of the power button right at the front. This allows you to quickly switch off the unit in case of an emergency. Once switched off, the knives immediately lock and stop spinning.
- Column Design: Much like the pillar of a building, the column design of this unit provides a lot of stability and toughness. This translate to a more stable and vibration-free wood planer. Bottom line, it becomes more accurate and more efficient at planing wood.
- Height Adjustment: The height handle wheel is large and provides excellent grip. Adjusting the height of the bed roller with the handle is a very smooth process that can be accomplished with only one hand fairly easily.
- Tool Storage: The back of the unit has an Allen wrench storage compartment where you can discreetly keep your tools. This provided tool is important when making adjustments and other calibration of the device.
- Precision Scale: The height adjustment has a precision scale that allows you to adjust the height to a very high precision. It is clearly marked and the height can, of course, be locked in position for repetitive planing.
- Rollers: The infeed and outfeed rollers have a coating of Nitrile Synthetic Rubber that gives them both durability and rolling ease. They also do a good job limiting noise as purely metal rollers tend to be noisy. This is not a problem with this unit.
As almost expected with any wood planer, this Delta 22-555 does not come with accessories. Instead, it is an all-inclusive model that already have everything you need to start planing built inside the device. You will need to purchase additional knives separately. On the bright sides, they are not that expensive.
Price of Delta 22-555 Planer
The price is what we like the most about this Delta wood planer. It has an extremely nice set of features, that while simplistic work great. Out of the box, you will not how to mount anything. Simply pull it out of the box, plug it in and start planing right away. Compared to other popular and more expensive models like the Makita 2012NB, this Delta tool is very competitively priced as it offers almost the same features and performance as those pricier and more “premium” wood planers. All in all, we have no problem recommending this would planar to anyone, professional or beginner alike simply because we think that it provides excellent value for money.
Eric from Tools in Action made an excellent review of this wood planer on their YouTube channel. Basically, Eric starts the review by giving us his impressions of the power tool. He says that it is portable and shows us the insert mounts that can convert this portable wood planer into a stationary device.
He then goes on to show us how to change the disposable knives. He says that they are non-replaceable but also gives advice on where to get them, and how much they cost.
Eric covers all the features of this device. He gives us very informative tidbits throughout the video on how to use a wood planer effectively. Very general info but priceless.
Finally, he gives a hands-on demonstration of the wood planer in action. We can see how effective it is in removing material from the surface of stock. Of course, he ends up recommending this model because he thinks it is a high-quality planer with a lot to offer. You can check out his video below:
Pros/Cons of Delta 22-555 Planer
- Open design allows you to quickly make adjustments, see your planing in action, or change knives.
- Superior stock width of 13 inches and 6 inches height capacity.
- Large and smooth handle for adjusting the height.
- Nitrile Synthetic Rubber rollers for durability and low noise.
- Easy to change disposable knives.
- Contains only 2 disposable knives. The shaving finish is great but not excellent. We would have preferred at least 3 cutting knives.
Who Should Buy?
The Delta Power Tools 22-555 is very competitively priced and has an excellent stock capacity. It is a powerful, dependable, and straightforward power tool that can be operated by basically anyone. Even by those with no experience working with a wood planer. We highly recommend this model to anyone who needs to plane large amounts of wood of no more than 13 inches width and 6 inches thick. It will serve you well. Go get it!
Last Updated on