DeWalt Scroll Saw Review – DeWalt DW788
The DeWalt DW788 scroll saw is a quality and easy to use scroll saw that has many positive reviews in its favor. Many professionals use this model as their go-to scroll saw because it offers an excellent balance between price, performance, and versatility. But under the layer of hype that surrounds this popular model, how performing is it really and should you buy it? Here is our detailed review!
If you want to buy a scroll saw, here are some reviews that I recommend for you to read such as Shop Fox scroll saw, Dremel scroll saw, Hegner scroll saw, Rockwell scroll saw, Craftsman scroll saw, Wen 3920 scroll saw, Delta 40694 scroll saw, Excalibur scroll saw.
Table of Contents
DeWalt DW788 Scroll Saw Review
#1. Technical Feature
With 1.3-Amp, this model should amply suffice for scrolling on any type of material – from hardwood to even thin metal sheets.
Most professionals will tell you that a good scroll saw needs a decent throat depth of at least 16 – 18 inches. The DW788 exceeds this expectation by providing a 20-inch throat of depth. This makes it easy to work with large materials like a plywood or plastic sheets. It is also excellent for cutting large carpets. Bottom line, the generous throat depth of 20-inch makes it very versatile to work with almost any type of material – small or big.
With a 2-inch depth of cut, you can work with any commercially available material. They generally do not exceed 1-3/4 inches in thickness and it is nice to know there are provisions should you want to cut stacked sheets of material.
Adapting to the thickness of your material is important when accuracy and a professional cut is required. The variable stroke speed of 400-1,750 SPM makes it easy to work with material of different thickness.
The scroll saw is one of the most accurate woodcutting power tools out there. This DeWalt scroll saw lives up to this expectation. It features a dual parallel-link arm that uses ball bearings, which drastically reduced vibrations and promotes accuracy, among other things.
In addition to the link arm system, there are other features that are working behind the scene to boost accuracy:
- Large table: The large 16 x 23-3/4 inches cast-iron table is very thick and absorbs vibrations before it reaches the blades.
- Thin Blade: The thin blade is streamlined and has a reciprocating action that moves slightly forward and backward. This produces a more efficient cut that results in less vibrations.
- Cut Action: There is more maneuverability when cutting material with this scroll saw as you bring the material to the blade. You have full control over your cut at all times, and the end result is only dependent on your skill level, not the scroll saw.
This DeWalt scroll saw is built to last. It has a thick cast-iron table and constructed from quality materials. DeWalt makes durable power tool and this unit is no different from its other line of products.
Three main features make this unit incredibly stable, even at the highest 1750 SPM setting.
- Cast-Iron Table: The thick cast-iron table absorbs much of the vibrations produced by the moving parts and well as dampen vibrations at the cut area.
- Dual Parallel Link System: This system drastically reduces vibrations due to a more efficient design than the older link arm mechanism. Additionally, the moving parts have ball bearings that deliver a transmits the motor torque to the blade very efficiently with little to no vibration.
- Workbench Affixing: The DW788 has two pre-drilled holes at the base for firm affixing to a workbench. Once it is secured to a workbench, the uni-body design of this unit sends all the vibrations (if any) to the workbench instead of your material.
- Arm Lift: The arm can conveniently be lifted. This is handy when making inside cuts.
- Dust Blower: The dust blower is adjustable and helps keep your cut area clean from debris.
- Adjustments: Adjusting the speed and blade tension is very easy and fast due to the conveniently positioned levers at the front of the device.
- Blade Guard: Conveniently keep your fingers at a safe distance from the moving blade.
- Tool-free Blade Change: The tool-less mechanism allows you to quickly and easily change blades.
The DeWalt DW788 is quite expensive. It is not a budget scroll saw like the WEN 3920 and its price tag is to be expected. It offers a rich set of features and is a generally very performing scroll saw that can deliver accurate and intricate cuts.
In our opinion, the price is simply excessive. Compared to equal-performers like the Delta Power Tools 40-694, the DeWalt DW788 is expensive for what it offers to the table. If you can afford it, go for it. Just keep in mind that there is more value for money alternatives out there.
#3. Expert Reviews
Alex from popular woodworking YouTube channel Alex’s Odds and Ends made an excellent review of the DeWalt DW788. He goes in great detail about the various features as well as giving us a hands-on demonstration about how they work in the unit. He concludes the video by recommending it to everyone. You can watch his review video below:
- Performing 1.3-Amp motor can breeze through material.
- Variable speed of 400-1,750 adapts to your material.
- Throat depth of 20 inches allows you to work with large materials with great ease.
- Ease of use. Adjusting speed and tensioning is very easy.
- Dust blower helps keep your work area free from debris.
- Sturdy cast-iron table. Offers a generous working area as well as help absorb vibrations.
- Dual parallel-link arm is very efficient and adds more stability to the device.
- Blades can be changed in a matter of seconds with the tool-less blade changing mechanism.
- More expensive than other models with similar or better features.
There is nothing wrong with this DeWalt scroll saw. It has a rich set of features that will come in handy to anyone. It is very stable, built from quality materials and has decent performance; all of which is enough for both professional and casual scrolling.
#5. Who Should Buy?
The Dewalt DW788 is a professional scroll saw that does everything you expect from it. It has an excellent build construction which means that it will last. It is accurate and performing.
The only problem is that we have a hard time justifying its steep price. Compared to other excellent scroll saws like the Delta Power Tools 40-694, this DeWalt scroll saw is over-priced by a fairly big margin. If you can afford it - it will serve you well and exceed your expectations. If you are on a strict budget, consider a more affordable and equally performing scroll saw like the Delta Power Tools 40-694 to save some hard-earned cash.
Last Updated on